CARE works around the globe to save lives, defeat poverty, and achieve social justice. We seek a world of hope, inclusion, and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and all people live with dignity and security.
CARE puts women and girls in the center of our efforts because we know that we cannot overcome poverty until all people have equal rights and opportunities.
At the end of World War II, American charities banded together to send food rations to Europe that became the world’s first CARE Packages and an American symbol was born. For over 75 years, CARE has led the way to a better life for the world’s most vulnerable people. This year, CARE and partners worked in 111 countries, reaching more than 174 million people around the world through 1,600 projects.
CARE USA is inviting an entrepreneurial and engaging fundraising professional to be our next Senior Director of Development. Reporting to the Executive Director of Philanthropy for the Western region, this individual will work with some of our most generous individual and family foundation donors throughout the Western region of the United States. In particular, we would like this person to be accountable for raising the profile of CARE, growing the base of supporters and donors and proactively cultivating new prospective donors from outside CARE's known donor pool, with a particular focus on the Bay Area/Silicon Valley.
Major Gifts Fundraising
- Identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward a portfolio of major donors and major donor prospects, with the capacity to make five and six-figure gifts, across the Western region, with annual goal of $2 million+.
- With Major Gifts and Planned Giving colleagues across the Bay Area, the greater Western region and across the country, develop tailored annual communication, cultivation, and solicitation plans for major donors, including 1:1 meetings, small events and virtual/in-person engagement opportunities for your portfolio of approximately 120 donors and prospects.
- Ensure that all donors in your portfolio receive appropriate, consistent engagement/ acknowledgment and an accounting of the impact that their gift has on community needs annually.
- Stay informed and knowledgeable about planned giving options for donors to CARE. With the Senior Planned Giving Officer, work to grow and steward donors, who have made or plan to make bequest, legacy, or estate gifts to CARE.
- Ensure donor and prospect data is properly recorded in the Salesforce database and that all donor information is maintained with respect to confidentiality. Provide timely and accurate reports to senior leadership on all fundraising activities.
- Accountable for raising the profile of CARE, growing the base of supporters and donors, proactively cultivating new prospective donors from outside CARE’s known donor pool, with a particular focus on the Bay Area/Silicon Valley.
- Alongside leadership and colleagues, build and manage relationships with professional advisors in the private wealth management space
- Develop and implement strategies for increasing CARE’s visibility in key Western region markets, including the Bay Area.
- Lead the planning and execution of a minimum of two donor cultivation events per year, including cultivating hosts, managing external speaker and topic, invitation creation and dissemination, onsite event management, and follow up.
Leadership and Management
- Represent the Major Gifts team on important task forces or working groups as required.
- Establish and maintain strategic relationships with colleagues across CARE. Engage Program staff in donor outreach and provide mentorship on donor cultivation to them as needed. Collaborate as needed with the Finance team and Grants Administration team on restricted gifts, planned gifts, and special appeals.
This is a hybrid remote/office position. The Senior Director will be expected to work from the San Francisco CARE office at least one day per week and work remotely the remainder of the time.
- Bachelor's Degree
- 10 years sales or fundraising management experience in either/or both the non-profit and for-profit context or equivalent. Strong track record of settling and exceeding sales or fundraising targets.
- Entrepreneurial mindset in building donor/client portfolios.
- Experience working with high net-worth individuals, family foundations and other entities based in the region consistently supporting organizations with six-to-seven-figure gifts.
- Proven experience in results-oriented relationship management, networking, marketing and intelligence gathering.
- Ability to meet deadlines, manage multiple responsibilities and priorities and achieve impact and results under pressure.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills. Evidence of strong analytic skills and strategy development.
- Computer literacy, including facility with Word, Excel, and other Microsoft Office applications.
- Comfort and fluency with Salesforce or other fundraising CRM
- Experience in crypto philanthropy a plus
- Experience with venture philanthropy and impact investing a plus.
Please send a letter of application no more than one page outlining your motivation for the job and when you would be able to start with your CV/resume, maximum two pages in English and in strict confidence by email only to Ruth Gardner at email@example.com.
Please ensure that they are sent as pdf documents with the titles “your name cover letter” and “your name CV” Please put “CARE-Senior Development Director” in the email subject line. Also please let us know where you saw the post advertised.
The deadline for applications is Sunday 12th of February 2023
Daryl Upsall International actively promotes equality, diversity and inclusion. In recruiting candidates, we seek candidates with the proven skills required; irrespective of race, gender, religion or belief, age, disability or sexual orientation.