POSITION / Policy Advisor - Finance Programme
COMMITTMENT / Full time, 40 hrs per week, happy to talk flexible working
CONTRACT TYPE / to be defined, with the possibility of a permanent contract
SALARY / gross income commensurate with experience, from 40.000 Euro
START DATE / First availability
WORK LOCATION / ECCO offices in Milan or Rome (Rome preferred), with the flexibility to work from home
JOB DESCRIPTION AND KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
ECCO is looking for an expert to lead its Finance Programme.
- to coordinate national and international activities for ECCO’s Finance Programme;
- to build and implement the Programme’s strategy and to contribute to ECCO’s strategic thinking;
- to conduct research and analysis on the role of finance in achieving decarbonisation goals;
- to analyze national, international, public and private financial institutions, with the aim of assessing their alignment with climate scenarios and energy transition finance needs;
- to map the development of legislative and regulatory tools to pressure Italy to support ambitious positions at national, European and international levels;
- to work together with other ECCO’s programmes to provide input and perspectives on decarbonisation strategies and policies of the finance sector (energy, buildings, industry, transport, agriculture). Furthermore, in the context of Next Generation EU, the revision of the National Integrated Energy and Climate Plan (NIPEC) and the reform of the EU Stability Pact;
- to lead on advocacy and engagement with Italian public finance institutions and ministries; building and maintaining a network of relationships instrumental to the achievement of climate objectives;
- to participate and follow the work of the Italian Sustainable Investment Forum - of which ECCO is a member - and the European and international civil society networks;
- to develop an ambitious agenda for climate finance in the context of the Italian G7 in 2024, the G20 and the COPs; to build a strategy for 'finance diplomacy
PERSON SPECIFICATION SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent understanding of decarbonisation, adaptation, loss & damage, finance policies and instruments. This includes European sustainable finance reform policies (e.g. Taxonomy, CSRD, SFRD, CSDD), voluntary instruments and international best practices to align finance with climate
objectives (e.g. NGFS, TCFD, GHG protocol, PCAF, SBTi);
- ability to identify and map financial risks related to climate change. Knowledge of practices and actions to address and manage climate risk in finance;
- knowledge of the international financial system structure and public and private financial institutions in Italy (in particular CDP and SACE);
- ability to connect finance with other national (energy, buildings, industry, transport) and international ECCO’s programmes (targeting in particular the G7, G20, COP processes and the World Bank and International Monetary Fund spring and annual meetings);
- knowledge of the pillars of international climate finance and Italy's commitment, including the recent Italian Climate Fund.
PERSONAL REQUIREMENTS AND EXPERIENCE
- Work experience in public and/or private finance in Italy and/or abroad;
- ability to draft policy papers based on technical studies and narrative texts for the general public and policy-makers;
- Ability to create and nurture relationships with financial stakeholders, creating strategic coalitions, building consensus for change as well as organising events and workshops;
- Italian & English language knowledge (C1/C2 level);
- degree in a relevant discipline. Higher education is an advantage in the selection processes;
- personal motivation, intellectual curiosity and enthusiasm for the urgency to accelarate climate action in Italy and beyond.
Applications must be sent to (see email below) with the subject line 'Policy Advisor Finance' by 31 January 2023.
The application must be accompanied by a curriculum vitae of maximum 2 pages and a cover letter demonstrating why your career path is in line with ECCO’s objectives, how you meet the person specification and your personal motivation in working for ECCO.
Only applications meeting the requirements will be considered. Due to the high number of applications received, we can only ensure a feedback to those profiles that will be invited for the first round of interview.