The European Climate Foundation (ECF) is a major philanthropic initiative working to help tackle the climate crisis by fostering the development of a net-zero emission society at the national, European, and global level.
We support over 1000 partner organisations to carry out activities that drive urgent and ambitious policy in support of the objectives of the Paris Agreement, contribute to the public debate on climate action and help deliver a socially responsible transition to a net-zero economy and sustainable society in Europe and around the world.
The ECF brings together diverse perspectives and backgrounds to find the best innovative solutions to tackle climate change. We are committed to engaging and hiring people from a wide diversity of backgrounds to strengthen the cause. If you share our values of respect, innovation, and collaboration, join us.
Passionate about people and planet? The mission of the Strategic Partnerships Team is to build strong philanthropic partnerships to power ECF’s climate impact. In recent years, the ECF has significantly increased its funding base and has currently more than 45 funding partners. Our team is growing and we are creating a Partnerships Manager position as a senior role to strengthen our frontline funder engagement efforts.
The ideal candidate will lead on the development and delivery of engagement strategies and plans for ECF donors and be responsible for managing strong partnerships with a portfolio of funding partners. You will develop multidimensional plans that integrate all aspects of partnership management, with a focus delivering exceptional service to our funders. The Partnerships Manger will also play a key role in designing and delivering funder communications to maximise our partnerships and ECF’s role as a thought leader and convener.
Internally, the postholder will work closely with the team’s Directors on relationship building, as well as with the Stewardship team and Development Writer. The postholder will also be expected to work closely with other colleagues, especially ECF programme staff, the CEO’s office, corporate communications and operational teams. Externally, they will manage a portfolio of funding partners (mostly foundations, as well as individual and family philanthropies) from the US and Europe and support the directors on key relationships.
- Designing and delivering high-quality donor engagement strategies and plans that fully integrate communication milestones for a portfolio of funding partners in line with the overall stewardship and fundraising strategy. This will require developing a deployment strategy for key ECF staff from our Executive Management Team, programmes, Board and Development Committee members and existing donors and partners.
- Partnerships management: this will involve independently managing a portfolio of funding partners that provide 7 to 8 figures gifts to the ECF as well as working in close collaboration with the team’s Directors to manage partnerships with key donors. This will include managing all aspects of the partnerships in close cooperation with relevant colleagues, from note preparation, proposal and report development, bilateral meetings or events, communication milestones etc.
- Negotiation of funding deals: the Partnerships Manager will be in charge of negotiating funding opportunities and agreements, including amounts and conditions, always striving for the best conditions possible for ECF, such as a high degree of flexibility in the use of the funds and multiyear commitments.
- Ensuring integrated ECF position towards donors: The Partnerships Manager will need to align the Strategic Partnership team and other ECF colleagues involved in the delivery of the donor engagement plan to ensure a coherent ECF positioning at all stages of the process (e.g., proposals, reports, meetings, communication materials).
- Funder communication: the Partnerships Manager will be expected to ensure that communication is maximized and fully integrated with funder engagement plans, and will act as the main contact point between Strategic Partnerships and ECF’s corporate communications team (who are responsible for leading on stakeholder communications).
- Fundraising for specific thematic priorities: the postholder may be requested to focus on fundraising for key ECF programmes or campaigns, which will mean working hand-in-hand with programmes to develop cases for support and funder outreach.
- Oversight and preparation of briefs: the Manager will prepare detailed briefs ahead of key funder meetings involving our CEO, Managing Director, Executive Director for Strategic Partnerships and relevant ECF colleagues.
- Line management of 1 – 3 Full-time employees.
- At least 8 years’ experience in managing funder relationships, including donor communications.
- Exceptional communication and negotiation skills and proven ability to communicate with broad and diverse audiences.
- Strong relationship-building and diplomacy skills and comfortable operating with senior level stakeholders.
- Highly organised with an eye for detail, while keeping the big picture in mind.
- Team player with proven ability to work collaboratively with multiple stakeholders.
- Creative mindset, with problem-solving acumen.
- Ability to navigate complex organisations and situations.
The European Climate Foundation are committed to diversity and inclusion in our organisation. We strongly encourage candidates from disadvantaged or marginalised backgrounds to apply.
Please send a letter of application stating the skills and approach that you would bring to the post with your CV/resume (no photos) in strict confidence by email only to: Ruth Gardner at (see email below).
Please ensure they are sent as PDF documents with the titles “your name cover letter” and “your name CV” Please put “European Climate Foundation – Partnership Manager” in the email subject line.
The deadline for application is Sunday 2nd April 2023
Daryl Upsall International actively promotes equality, diversity and inclusion. In recruiting candidates, we seek candidates with the proven skills required; irrespective of race, gender, religion or belief, age, disability or sexual orientation.