Contract Type: Temporary
Working Hours: Full Time
Sector: International Development
Link to Website
Closing date: 10/12/2023
ForAfrika is the largest African humanitarian and development organisation working for an Africa that thrives. Partnering closely with communities, ForAfrika brings resources and implements locally led programmes that lead to equitable growth and transformation. We are working to empower 20 million Africans to sustainably provide for themselves by 2032.
ForAfrika is currently active in seven African countries, providing services and programmes from Emergency Response to Economic Empowerment. ForAfrika’s total global income is expected to be over $80M in 2023 and $150M by 2025. To achieve such exponential growth, ForAfrika wants to retain and recruit the best people and we welcome you to apply.
The Group Finance Director (GFD) provides overall financial oversight of the organisation, leads the finance unit and is the chief financial spokesperson for the organisation. The Group Finance Director reports to the Group Chief Operating Officer (COO) and indirectly to the Audit, Risk, and Compliance Committee of the Group Board, forming part of the Executive Management team, under the leadership of the Group CEO. This position is responsible for assessing the financial performance of the organisation and its risks, including but not limited to, strategic and tactical matters as they relate to budget management, cashflow management, cost benefit analysis, financial forecasting, and overall management of the annual financials.
We are looking for a reliable professional with a broad knowledge of accounting and financial principles, a strategic thinker and an effective leader who can make sound decisions. The ideal candidate will be someone with extensive experience in the NGO sector, specifically with donors and partners such as the UN agencies and USAID.
This position’s goal will be to guide the organisation towards long-term financial success.
The job holder will have the following key responsibilities:
- Develop, guide and implement financial strategy.
- Overall financial management of the ForAfrika Group, including Mauritius, Affiliate Offices, Country Offices, and Global Support Office (GSO).
- Cashflow management.
- Financial performance analysis and reporting to EXCO, Group Board and other stakeholders.
- Budgeting, forecasting, and financial planning process.
- Develop and implement accounting policies.
- Manage the ForAfrika Finance Department, including but not limited to, the structure of the department, the employment and performance management of staff and their individual growth and success.
- Assess the benefits and risks of prospective contracts and advise the Financial Committee (FINCO) on financial impact and needs.
- Provide the Executive Committee (EXCO) and Group Board with an annual operating budget for board approval, including monthly budget and cash flow projections.
- Ensure adherence to financial laws, regulations and guidelines. This includes but is not limited to 1) interpreting legislative and programmatic rules and regulations to ensure compliance with all federal, state, local and contractual guidelines, 2) ensuring that all government regulations and requirements are disseminated to appropriate personnel, and 3) monitoring compliance.
- Oversee the management and coordination of all fiscal reporting activities for the organisation including organisational revenue/expense and balance sheet reports, reports to board/s, reports to funding agencies, development and monitoring of organisational and contract/grant budgets, management and reporting on monthly management accounts with rolling three month forecast and comparison of budget to forecast to actual.
- Over 10 years of non-profit accounting experience in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, OMB Circulars A-133, A-110 and A-122, program regulations and compliance requirements, and appropriate Code of Federal Regulations sections.
- Strong technical knowledge and skills in IFRS principles and standards.
- Proven experience leading finance departments and working as Director of Finance.
- Extensive knowledge of financial analysis and forecasting.
- Proficient in the use of financial management software (Sage) and MS Office.
- An analytical mind with a strategic ability.
- Develop strong working relationships with colleagues across departments and seniority levels.
- Excellent organisational and leadership skills.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal abilities.
- Completion of a bachelor’s and master’s degree at an accredited college or university or equivalent work experience.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) /Chartered Accountant (CA) preferred.
Location: Within two hours of UTC (GMT)
Location Type: Remote
Reporting to: Group COO
Manages: Leads the finance unit: composed of a total of 13 staff
Annual salary: To be defined based on experience and location, budgeted salary starts at $100K USD.
Contract type: 2-year contract (renewable)
Working hours: Full-time
Candidate level: Director
To apply for this role, please submit a copy of your CV/resume and a cover letter outlining your interest in the role and how you fulfil the requirements set out in the job announcement by clicking on the link above.
Please contact Karem Armstrong at Karem@darylupsall.com for any queries you may have.
The deadline for application is December 10th 2023
Daryl Upsall International actively promotes equality, diversity and inclusion. In recruiting candidates, we seek candidates with the proven skills required; irrespective of race, gender, religion or belief, age, disability or sexual orientation.