Contract Type: Permanent
Working Hours: Full Time
Sector: International Development
Link to Website
Country: United States
Closing date: 25/06/2023
CARE is a global organization committed to saving lives, fighting poverty, and promoting social justice across the world. Our ultimate goal is to create a world where hope, inclusion, and social justice prevail, and where every person can live a life of dignity and security.
At CARE, we place women and girls at the center of our efforts because we recognize that overcoming poverty requires equal rights and opportunities for all people. We believe that by empowering women and girls, we can create a more just and equitable world.
CARE's history dates back to the end of World War II, when a coalition of American charities came together to send food rations to Europe. This initiative gave rise to the world's first CARE Packages and became an iconic symbol of American generosity. For more than 75 years, CARE has been at the forefront of improving the lives of the world's most vulnerable populations. Today, our organization operates in 111 countries and partners with others to implement 1,600 projects that touch the lives of more than 174 million people around the globe.
The Major Gifts and Planned Giving program for CARE is responsible for securing over $70 million annually from generous philanthropists to combat poverty and respond to humanitarian crises worldwide.
Reporting to the Associate Vice President of Philanthropy, the Executive Director will provide strategic leadership to advance all aspects of CARE's major gifts program and supervise and mentor a team charged with engaging, soliciting, and stewarding high-value existing and new individual donor relationships ranging from the $10K to the $10M+ level across the Western region of the United States. A primary focus of this role is to engage with the philanthropic community in the San Francisco Bay Area, but we also hope to expand our network aggressively across key Western region markets, including Southern California and the Pacific Northwest. You would be a key driver of success for CARE's inaugural West Coast gala in spring 2024 and lead the effort to create engaging donor experiences across the region.
This senior-level role provides a unique opportunity for a highly accomplished and entrepreneurial fundraiser, skilled manager, and effective leader to join CARE's top-performing development team. To succeed in this position, you must be able to serve as a valuable partner and drive CARE's continued growth and evolution in key markets. Candidates who possess the necessary experience and qualities required to help realize CARE's ambitious philanthropic goals are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Develop, implement, and oversee a comprehensive major gifts program that reflects industry best practices and advances CARE's mission and goals.
- Lead, manage, and grow a team of 4-6 experienced and high-performing major gift fundraisers, setting performance expectations and partnering with them on strategy, feedback, support, and coaching to achieve outcomes.
- Build CARE’s prominence and position in key Western region markets, with a particular focus on the San Francisco Bay Area, Southern California, and the Pacific Northwest, to grow CARE’s market share and relationships with philanthropists, philanthropic advisors, and influencers.
- Lead by example by managing a strategic portfolio of 80+ donors and delivering critical funding for CARE’s mission by building a strong pipeline and securing 6+ figure gifts. In partnership, lead a team securing $25M+ annually with growth goals in upcoming fiscal years to meet organizational priorities.
- Work cooperatively and collaboratively with CARE’s C-suite leadership, board of directors, team leadership, peer Executive Directors, and other team members, including our Planned Giving team, to build strategies, opportunities, and solicitations.
- Co-lead fundraising efforts with the corporate and events team for CARE’s inaugural West Coast gala in spring 2024.
- Monitor and analyze internal results and external trends. Provide regular reporting for key performance indicators, fundraising, and forecasting. Influence business rules, systems, and procedures to improve workflow, data integrity, and efficiency.
- Retain and build talent by actively investing in and growing a confident, collaborative, courageous team of fundraisers.
- Foster and model CARE’s commitments to inclusivity, belonging, equity, and cultural competency.
- At least 10 years of fundraising experience in major or principal gifts with increasing levels of responsibility and supervisory experience required. Proven personal stewardship and solicitation experience at the $1M+ level.
- Direct professional experience and track record of working at the highest levels of philanthropic engagement in the San Francisco Bay Area, Southern California, or the Pacific Northwest is highly desirable.
- Comfort and fluency with Salesforce or another fundraising CRM.
- Ability to meet deadlines, manage multiple responsibilities and priorities and achieve impact and results under pressure.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills. Evidence of strong analytic skills and strategy development.
Personal traits desired
- Commitment to the mission of CARE and passion for mentoring fundraising professionals.
- Willingness and ability to travel to meet with donors, visit CARE field offices and projects, and attend events, staff meetings, and retreats as needed.
- Bachelor's degree required, master's degree a plus.
Location: West Coast of the United States
Reporting to: Associate Vice President, Philanthropy
Manages: 4+ major gifts fundraisers
Candidate level: Senior Executive
Please send a letter of application, no more than one page, outlining your motivation for the job and when you would be able to start with your CV/resume, maximum two pages in English and in strict confidence by email only to Ruth Gardner.
Please ensure that they are sent as pdf documents with the titles “your name cover letter” and “your name CV” Please put “CARE-ED Philanthropy” in the email subject line. Also please let us know where you saw the post advertised.
Daryl Upsall International actively promotes equality, diversity, and inclusion. In recruiting candidates, we seek candidates with the proven skills required, irrespective of race, gender, religion or belief, age, disability, or sexual orientation.