The Global Commons Alliance (GCA) is a network of organizations working together in thoughtful collaboration to ensure that societies and the global economy thrive, sustained by healthy global commons, on a stable and resilient planet. The GCA was formed to catalyse urgent action to protect and restore the global commons – the interconnected systems that support life on Earth: from the Arctic sea ice to the Amazon rainforest, from critical ocean currents to our fresh water network.
The mission of the GCA is to empower citizens, cities, companies, and countries to become effective stewards of the global commons. Our vision is a safe and just future for the planet and all its people. After a three year start-up phase, the Global Commons Alliance is now in full implementation mode.
The Science Based Targets Network (SBTN) is one of five components that make up the Global Commons Alliance. SBTN is an unprecedented collaboration between more than 60 non-profits and intergovernmental organizations that have come together to provide a single unified framework for companies and cities to ensure their actions on nature and climate can be scientifically validated.
Background to the role
This is a brand new role and the GCA and SBTN invite an experienced Digital Marketing Manager to be their in-house expert, responsible for the demand and growth of digital channels. The successful candidate will hit the ground running, joining the GCA in this pivotal year, with the launch of many exciting projects. It is envisaged that the Digital Marketing Manager will spend 50% of their time working with the SBTN and the other 50% will be supporting the core operations of the GCA and potentially supporting the other components in their digital marketing. This role requires someone who is excited about the opportunity to work within a growing and entrepreneurial working environment with a committed team.
Both the GCA and SBTN work collaboratively and flexibly, with sometimes overlapping responsibilities. Within this context, the Digital Marketing Manager will work across both ensuring consistent operations across the organization to:
- Develop and implement integrated state-of-the-art digital marketing strategies for both GCA and SBTN, to grow the online presences and influence, primarily through owned and earned channels.
- Social media responsibilities will include creating daily content for Twitter and LinkedIn, calendar management, influencer outreach and engagement, monitoring channels and regularly conducting social media audits and resulting recommendations for growth and process improvements.
- Drive engagement to reach important audiences, raising the profile of both the GCA and SBTN.
- Maintain and update the GCA and SBTN websites, working closely with the agency employed to overhaul the GCA’s website template.
- Provide SEO analysis, recommendations, and implementation to support earned media growth.
- Develop a KPI dashboard, campaign measurement, and analysis reporting across digital channels.
- Support the GCA’s Communications Coordinator deliver on the overall communications strategy.
- Participate actively in the GCA and SBTN communities.
The following offers an aspirational view of our ideal candidate profile, highlighting the importance of experience within the digital marketing world. However, we are encouraging candidates from an array of backgrounds.
Experience and qualifications
- A minimum of 5+ years’ experience in digital marketing, primarily across owned and earned channels in the non-profit, government, or private sector.
- Experience of working both strategically whilst being responsible for day-to-day execution.
- Demonstrable experience of autonomously leading digital marketing operations.
- Driving digital performance for clients, including increasing organizations’ profiles and engagement on social media and online.
- Proven success in B2B communications.
- Experience with content management systems, specifically WordPress.
- Experience with email marketing systems, specifically Mailchimp.
- Experience with visual design programmes, for example, Canva.
- Desired understanding of some of the major multinational events on the nature, biodiversity, and climate calendar, e.g.: UNGA, COPs (UNFCCC and CBD), Davos (WEF), G7, G20 and others is a plus.
Skills and desired personal traits
- A self-motivator, with the ability to work independently and with excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to work seamlessly across different priority areas, with a wide range of both internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to adapt and flex between thinking and working strategically whilst delivering on the execution of projects.
- A tenacious and dynamic individual, with entrepreneurial spirit that enjoys working in a fast-paced growing environment.
- An engaging and competent communicator that has the ability to tailor communications to a wide range of audiences, balancing the need to be creative and technical.
- Fluent English.
Terms and conditions
GCA and SBTN are jointly hosted by Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors. Employment contract would therefore be with Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors. At certain times of the year travel to team meetings will be required. These meetings are sometimes in the U.S., sometimes in Europe, and occasionally in other parts of the world.
Reporting to: GCA Communications Coordinator and SBTN Communications Director.
Annual salary: $70-80K USD/ £45-55K GBP/ €40-50K EUR, depending on experience and location, adjusted based on the cost of labour for the country in which the candidate resides
Contract type: Permanent and consultancy contracts considered
Please send a letter of application stating the skills and approach that you would bring to the post with your CV/resume (no photos) in strict confidence by email only to Zoe Oldham, (see email below)
Please ensure that they are sent as Word documents with the titles “your name cover letter” and “your name CV” Please put “GCA Digital Marketing Manager” in the email subject line. Also please let us know where you saw the post advertised.
The deadline for application is February 19th 2023.
Interviews will take place remotely.
Daryl Upsall International actively promotes equality, diversity and inclusion. In recruiting candidates, we seek candidates with the proven skills required; irrespective of race, gender, religion or belief, age, disability or sexual orientation.