Organisation: Protect Our Winters UK
Closing date: 30/09/2021 (day/month/year)
Protect Our Winters UK
Fast growing, ambitious, climate charity seeks new Chairperson to drive impact in COP year and beyond.
Ready for something more, passionate about the outdoors and looking to make an impact for the future of our planet by helping a climate action charity to grow?
Time commitment: ½ day week, voluntary.
Role description & responsibilities:
1. Working with the Board of Trustees (7) and General Manager to set the strategy and agree tactics for POW UK to deliver its mission and vision
2. Supporting the team of staff (3FTE) in maximising their effectiveness and delivering their roles
3. Developing / expanding POW UK's network in the business and outdoor communities to increase our reach, influence and funding
4. Support the development and delivery of a multi-channel fundraising strategy
So what’s POW UK all about?
· Read our 2020 Impact Report
· BBC’s Ed Leigh introduces Protect Our Winters UK in 2017 (2 mins)
· The flagship POW Pledge for businesses to decarbonise (2 mins)
· Policy activations - eg writing to the government on net zero
· POW’s General Manager Lauren MacCallum and Patagonia: Accidental Activist (7 mins)
Launched in May 2017, POW UK is a charity which brings the powerful and significant voice of the outdoor community to the table on climate change. The outdoor industry in the UK is economically significant and has tens of millions of enthusiasts participating - our mission is to help passionate outdoor people become effective climate advocates to achieve systemic solutions to climate change, protecting our world today and for future generations.
We know that the millions of people in the UK who cherish the outdoors want to do something about climate. But they have also told us that they’re not sure what action to take and whether it will be effective. That’s where POW UK comes in.
We work with recognised industry brands like Patagonia and the outdoor community (athletes and volunteers) to bring the unique and powerful voice of the UK’s outdoor community to the table on climate change, as well as supporting them to make low carbon choices themselves.
By working in this way we can consistently reach millions of UK outdoor enthusiasts to drive individual, political and systemic change, to accelerate the transition to a low carbon society.
POW launched in the US in 2007, with the UK branch set up in 2017. Part of the POW global network of country chapters, POW UK is a registered Scottish charity, with its own Board of Trustees.
POW UK has grown to now have turnover >£100k and increasing, with 4 members of staff on a mix of full time and part time contracts. This is supplemented by around 30 volunteers. To reach potential we want to grow to 8 to 10 staff, with turnover of around £250k. This will allow POW to work more broadly across the outdoor community, work with more brands across more sports (eg climbing, hiking, biking), support more athletes to use their voice and reach more people
The ideal candidate will have:
1. An engagement in the climate crisis, understanding of the challenges and opportunities as well as a passion for the outdoors
2. Experience of leadership roles in a business or charity environment, ideally with business development and growth successes
3. Experience of Board-level roles in a charity with a thorough understanding of the charity space
Contact current Chair - Sandy.Trust@protectourwinters.uk
Contact person: Sandy Trust
Response email: Click here to email the recruiter
Preferred method of response: Email
Globalcharityjobs.com is not responsible for the content of this advertisement, nor for the contents of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. Globalcharityjobs.com provides this advertisement as a service, and the inclusion of any vacancy does not imply endorsement by Global Charity Jobs.